Casselton City Cemetery
The first cemetery in Casselton was located on the north side of town on Lots 5 and 6 of Block 1 per the Original Casselton plat. This location is approximately the southeast corner of 1st St and 9th Ave N.
As the city grew, it was moved to a location on Swan Creek just south of the bridge (no longer present) and on the west side of Langer Ave. This would probably be Lots 7 and 8 of Block 29 in the Aldrich and Tuttle’s Addition.
Sometime between 1880 and 1884, the cemetery was moved to the present location at 4th St and 9th Ave S. At that time, seventeen graves were moved to the new location.
On November 20, 1911, the first Board of Trustees of the City Cemetery of Casselton was organized.
The cemetery board is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the physical grounds which includes mowing, gravestone and grave maintenance, weed spraying, planting grass on new graves, tree trimming, and tree replacement. The board also oversees the sales of plots, collection of burial fees, and maintenance and custody of burial records.
The City Cemetery and St. Leo’s Cemetery are located side by side. The two cemeteries cover twenty-six acres in total where the city owns eighteen acres and St. Leo’s owns eight acres.
As of 2013, there were 2,263 graves in the city cemetery with fifteen to twenty interments taking place per year.
If interested in purchasing plots contact Cemetery Manager Jon Carley 701-347-5540.